Writer's Addiction

We all know the Internet is an amazing, powerful tool.  With it, we're getting close to that Star Trek onboard computer where you ask it anything and you'll get some kind of answer.  (Trekkie sidebar: I'm really waiting for the holodeck!) However, for all its collective wisdom, cool things to do, read and interact with, the Internet can be a dangerously addictive distraction for writers.

Most times, after you've read your email, tweeted and checked your Facebook account, your most probable foray into the cyber universe is labeled under "research."  And it all starts so innocently.  You tip toe into that Google portal (still don't understand why I should use Bing) searching for a list of Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues and before you can say, heavens to murgatroid, you find yourself spiraling through an Internet wormhole taking you to fifteen new sites that have nothing to do with your "research," reading celebrity web sites and even landing on some order page whipping out your credit card.

So, how to prevent being sucked down the Internet rabbit hole?  Let me offer a few suggestions:

1.  Set your computer clock to announce the time.  I've got mine set at 30 minute intervals.  Oftentimes all it takes is her (yes I've personalized it) shouting the time to awaken me to the fact that I started "research" a half hour ago and I still haven't returned to my script.

2. Close all those open tabs.  The more tabs you have open, the easier it is to just flip into that world rather than working out the mechanics of a difficult scene.

3.  Create an Internet Want To Do List.  This can be a physical pad on your desk or a computer file with bookmarks.  Whatever works for you.  If you find an interesting site, just jot it down and come back  later. Trust me it'll be there.

4.  Fight for Focus.  Look at Internet time wasting as addictive. And like any addict you will oftentimes convince yourself that I'll only look at this one Facebook page, click this one button or read this one celebrity photo. However, you must constantly fight temptation and remind yourself of what you should really be doing with your time at this particular moment.

Don't fool yourself. Admit that you have an addiction; then write.  That's the fix.  And keep in mind that the world, and yes the Internet too, is waiting--hungrily waiting-- for your wonderful work. But you have to get it done first.  Now get off this blog and go write something. I'll be here with something new when you get back.

1 comment:

  1. While I personally have NO idea how anyone could be distracted by research, some of my writer friends do have this problem. My friend, Michael, uses an old laptop with no internet service for his writing time. He pulls out his newer laptop when it's time for surfing--that is to say, "researching."

    ReplyDelete