Could "Crossed" Stars Finally Be Aligning?

A couple of years ago I wrote a movie called “Crossed” with my friend Heavy D. It’s a taught edgy little drama about a cop who may have crossed the line in his attempt to get at a notorious drug dealer. The cop will be played by Heavy D. Since it’s completion, “Crossed” has been read by a LOT of people including Will Smith, Alan Alda, Laurence Fishburne, Demi Moore, James Lassiter, Wood Harris, Antwone Fisher, Salli Richardson, Denzel Washington and Tim Story. Folks love the script--they really really do. Last year I met Denzel at a gathering at Morehouse wherein he said to me, “That cop story? You wrote that? That’s a good script man.” (I hoped he would call me “son” like he says to people in the movies.) Then he asked me had Heavy and I made the movie. Of course we hadn’t. But why hadn’t we-- especially if the script is that hot?

Well, this is Hollywood and oftentimes things don’t happen until the stars are in alignment. Really, THE stars--those that rest in the constellations of Beverly Hills, Malibu and the like. Heavy D is a very good actor. He won the Drama Desk award for his stage work in “Riff-Raff” and showed more than ample chops in the successful run of the two man stage play “Medal of Honor Rag.” However, no one was willing to bank on a movie starring Heavy--no matter how much they liked him as a person (which they do) or the script (which they do.)
Recently however a star has come into the “Crossed” universe. I can’t reveal who that is--at least not yet--until papers are signed and the orbit is actually in motion, but THIS STAR CAN GET “CROSSED” MADE.

Am I excited? Mmm. Somewhat. I remain cynical because this business is rife with so many disappointments that I refuse to mount my joy unnecessarily. However, as it moves closer to fruition I know I’ll shine brighter--like E.T.’s heart light-- and I’ll definitely keep you posted as to what’s happening.

In the meantime, I’ll be writing new stuff while keeping my feet on the ground and reaching for the, um, stars?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, stars . . . see them with all that you have and KNOW that they are there . . . in Abundance . . . for You!

    ReplyDelete