Will Lavell Crawford Be The Last Comic Standing?


I've known comedian Lavell Crawford for several years. In fact, during one of the low times in my career (which one you say?), I crashed on his couch in Los Angeles for a few weeks. He was rooming with "Jammin'" Jay Lamont, a music-comedian, and an incredible talent in his own right. Weighing in at close to 400 pounds, Lavell can look quite intimidating, a beast--and indeed for hecklers he is!--but while I stayed in his apartment I came to discover that not only is he an incredibly nice and generous guy, but he's also a well-spring of creativity. He regaled me with movie ideas--one of which I turned into a screenplay entitled "Pimp Juice."

"Pimp Juice" is about Farnsworth, the grandson of a legendary pimp, who must return home, defeat an evil pimp and reclaim his heritage. I know, I know I hear you---but it's about "pimps" right? How can that be funny? Trust me it is. When Lavell pitched me the idea, I had my own reservations but as I heard his ideas I saw the humor. (My friend Phillip at Morehouse College says regardless of how funny it is he HATES the idea! Pimps Avery? Give me a break!)

It was during my stay at Lavell and Jay's apartment in Woodland Hills that I came up with a sitcom idea about a young preacher of a small church in a poor neighborhood who has two roomates: one a musician, the other a writer. I wrote it, infusing it with Lavell's comedy, and entitled it "Sermons By Lavell." Everyone that has read it says it's funny as hell. But "Sermons" or "Pimp Juice" never went anywhere because, well, Lavell and I didn't have any Hollywood juice, per se. However that tide may soon turn.

As some of you may know, Lavell has been a contestant on this season's "Last Comic Standing." Over the past several weeks he has weathered situational challenges, heckling, time constraints, odd costumes-- and yet each week he has come out on top, such that it's now down to only two contestants. The final is this WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19. For those who don't know, the final contestants are selected by the public--not only here, but in places like Canada and Australia! So now, until September 19th, people around the world are calling and clicking their mice to vote for one of the two comedians. You can vote more than once too. Trust me. It's quick and easy. I hit my speed dial dozens of times a day. At the bottom of this post I'll provide the number so you can call in and vote or click on the hyperlink to NBC.

I really hope he wins. And who knows, if he is the last comic standing, perhaps "Pimp Juice" (sorry Phillip) or "Sermons By Lavell" will see the light of a studio's day and get made. Lavell Crawford is a talented guy who deserves a big break.

Heck, for that matter, so do I.

Call: 1-866-978-2702 or click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment